Tuesday, February 22, 2005

This week so far...

I got up Sunday feeling like playing around in some wool, so I pulled out a Suffolk fleece I bought a year or two back (lovely fiber, fine and springy). I went through, pulled a pound-plus of the prime wool, and washed it - beautiful bright white. So I got out the Wilton cake dyes and vinegar and started microwave dyeing it in primary colors - about 3 ounces each of red-red, bright blue, kelly green and yellow, and I also did one lot of violet just for the fun of watching the different colors strike. I also left some in the lovely bright white. I got it dry, then started combing it on my double-row Viking combs, since I want a mostly smooth yarn.

I finished up the combing after work and supper Monday night, and got just a little bit spun. It's lovely stuff. Lots of spinners don't like Suffolk and other downs breeds, but I started spinning them several years back for socks. I love those socks - they're cushy and warm, even at the end of a long day. I thought I'd make a sampler Fair Isle project from this; maybe I'll do socks - I don't really need the small purse I was thinking about making, but can always use more socks!

Tonight I'll continue the spinning, work on my grandson's other sock, and get to sleep early - I have a breakfast meeting Wednesday. My birthday is tomorrow, too, so some serious pampering is in order for this soon-to-be-50-year-old!

No comments: